This staff person will serve as a part-time evaluation manager for Market Umbrella working specifically on a grant-funded project, with funding terminating in August 2015. Market Umbrella is a 501c3 nonprofit corporation devoted to cultivating the field of public markets for public good. As part of that mission, Market Umbrella has partnered with several local and national organizations to create the FitNOLA Parks and Farmers Market Prescription Initiative, which seeks to improve access to healthy food and exercise options for New Orleaneans. The FitNOLA Parks and Farmers Market Prescription Initiative is one of 12 similar programs in Louisiana funded by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana to make it easier for Louisianans to make healthy choices for themselves and their families, and is being evaluated by Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge. The aim of this work is to conduct research on the impact of the physical and social environment on obesity; to work with local communities in carrying out this research; to communicate results of research and other activities to community members, other researchers, and policy-makers; and to provide training to public health professionals and others. This position will work on the evaluation of the Fit NOLA Parks and Farmers Market Prescription Initiative.
This part-time position will carryout evaluation plans with Market Umbrella and its FitNOLA partners including: managing and conducting qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis, ensuring consistent use of evaluation protocols and methodologies, writing evaluation results for reporting to funders and contribute to the development of dissemination materials including manuscripts and presentations.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Knowledge of standard computer applications: including word processing, spreadsheet and database software.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and proactively.
- Master’s degree in public health or related field.
- Two years professional work experience in qualitative and/or quantitative research and supervising data collection.
- Experience writing research results for both academic and general audiences are highly desirable.
- Experience educating large groups.
- CITI certification.
- Familiarity using SPSS, SAS, STATA or other statistical analysis software.
Percent Time and Activity
40% Plan and implement evaluation activities related to the farmers market prescription and exercise prescription initiatives. Conduct focus groups, key informant interviews and surveys using standardized protocols. Collect and organize large amounts of data. Develop questions with input from Market Umbrella staff and partners. Conduct analysis of data using appropriate statistical software. Conduct and attend high-level meetings and discussions with members of FitNOLA steering committee and Pennington research personnel.
Performance Standards: Evaluation activities are completed on time and according to protocol.
10% Develop evaluation reports based on findings from data collection. Lead evaluation committee meetings with partners to disseminate report findings as needed. Assist with the development of manuscripts for scientific publication. Create presentations for national and local audiences highlighting evaluation findings. Attend local conferences and meetings on program evaluation and best practices.
Performance Standards: Evaluation reports are completed within the appropriate timeframe and disseminated to program stakeholders.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, June 20. No phone calls, please.
Food Access Outreach Coordinator
Market Umbrella is recruiting one AmeriCorps position to start September 1st for the role of Food Access Outreach Coordinator. Member will receive a stipend of $13,000 for the 11 months as well as health insurance, child care reimbursement, student loan forbearance, tons of training and networking opportunities and an education award of $5,550. Position Description is below; to fill out an application please visit www.ladeltacorps.org. All applications are to be sent directly to Louisiana Delta Service Corps. They will contact you for an interview. If you have any questions, please call 225-930-9949.
The corps member will assist in the daily, weekly and monthly coordination of marketumbrella.org and the Crescent City Farmers Market outreach programs. The corps member will work to deepen relationships with the New Orleans community by maintaining existing and developing new collaborative partnerships, organizing and conducting farmers market visits and disseminating nutritional information to vulnerable kids, seniors and families via special events, presentations and other innovative methods. The corps member will also create and maintain a database of outreach contacts. The corps member will assist the Market Community Coordinator and Market Manager with other outreach duties as assigned. The corps member will assist with social media outreach and digital outreach through assisting with our weekly newsletter, the Market Morsel.
NECESSARY TRAINING OR TRAINING PLAN TO BE IMPLEMENTED PRIOR TO MEMBER PLACEMENT
In order to successfully perform the duties assigned, the member must be able to successfully work with a diverse population, be an effective communicator and be highly organized. The corps member must be compassionate and have excellent listening skills.
The member’s service will help Market Umbrella and Crescent City Farmers Market reach a diverse, targeted population of low-income and vulnerable children and senior citizens, as well as members of our community with diabetes and other chronic health-related diseases. This service will expand our current portfolio of community partners and enable us to introduce more community members to the benefits of fresh, healthy, locally grown food. What are the measurable short- and long-term goals that should be achieved by the member during their service term that the member can be evaluated on?
- Short-term goals: meeting with community partners and participating in outreach activities
- Long-term goals: realizing an increase in the number of SNAP shoppers at the market to a targeted goal and realizing an increase in marketeer club members
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION
- Grows the market community through formal and informal outreach programs & activities (including flyering, representing mu and ccfm at community events/fairs and other organized meetings)
- Cultivates new relationships and strengthens current relationships with community partners
- Assists with the development and implementation of marketumbrella.org outreach programs (Farmers Market Bingo, Marketeers club, SNAP outreach, kids fitness programs, Farmers Market Prescription Program and other Meet Me @ the Market programming)
- Tailor outreach methods to meet the needs of specified target groups as necessary
- Maintain appropriate tracking, reporting and evaluation of data as requested for outreach programs
- Assist with the management of databases including senior centers, community centers and clinics, and schools
- Communicate information about scheduled Meet Me @ the Market program events with other marketumbrella staff and works with them to manage budgets, inventory and systems for all market outreach programs
- Contribute to the flow of information internally via Basecamp (online project management software)
- Assist in the planning and production of market related events
- Assist with market operations, outreach and administration as needed
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Self starter
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to work irregular hours and weekends as necessary
- Knowledge of (or interest in) local food system & sustainable food growing practices
- Ability to work outdoors in the New Orleans climate
- Frequently required to sit and stand for more than four hours, ability to walk on uneven surfaces and ability to lift and carry over 50 lbs
- Reliable transportation and ability to transport outreach materials as needed
REQUIRED ACADEMIC AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED
- Microsoft Office (Word, Power Point, Excel)